Saturday 29 March 2014

Don't Wave Your Finger ...

DON'T WAVE YOUR LITTLE FINGER AT THE TEACHER
 
Waving my little finger at the instructors was a moment in time that I will never forget. It was my very first lesson at a kung fu club back in 1973 and after doing the traditional bow, called the Sun & Moon in Chinese martial arts, the instructors then made us do loads of on the fists press-ups.
 
 
Never having done such a thing before and having weak hands at the time I ended up putting all the pressure on my third and little fingers, (not a good idea), which set off a noticeable nerve twitch in my one little finger. This proved to be most embarrassing when it came to standing with an open-handed guard with fingers pointing skyward.
 
Still unable to stop my one little finger from twitching, one of the instructors, asked me why I was waving to him with my little finger in front of the whole class. I have never forgotten how to do fist press-ups the correct way, as a result of that situation, to this day.
 
Experience I find is often the best way forward when it comes to gaining wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback always welcome!